TI News: An information service from the National Travel & Tourism Office (NTTO)
November 17, 2016
U.S. International Travel Up 10 Percent in July 2016 and Nine Percent Year-to-Date
U.S. citizen outbound totaled 9.1 million travelers for the month and 47.2 million YTD
July 2016/2015 Comparisons
U.S. travel to overseas markets (1) totaled 3.86 million, up eight percent in July and for the year (21.2 million). Regional monthly results were as follows:
- Europe, 1.65 million travelers, up nine percent
- Caribbean, 891,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Asia, 460,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Central America, 332,000 travelers, up nine percent
- Middle East, 222,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- South America, 199,000 travelers, up 11 percent
- Oceania, 59,000 travelers, up 14 percent
- Africa, 42,000 travelers, up five percent
U.S. travel to ‘other’ North American markets totaled 5.2 million and was up 12 percent compared to July 2015. Travel to Canada and Mexico for the year (25.9 million) was up nine percent.
- Mexico, 2.9 million travelers, up nine percent; and air travel (901,000) was up 14 percent
- Canada, 2.3 million travelers, up 13 percent; air travel (630,000) was up 26 percent
July 2016 YTD Market Share
U.S. travel to overseas locations accounted for 45 percent of U.S. outbound international travel.
- Europe, a 17 percent share
- Caribbean, an 11 percent share
- Asia, a seven percent share
- Central America, a four percent share
- Middle East, a three percent share
- South America, a three percent share
- Oceania, a one percent share, and
- Africa, almost one percent share
Other North American markets received 55 percent of all U.S. international outbound travel.
- U.S. travel to Mexico a 38 percent share; and
- Canada a 17 percent share.
For detailed information and data tables please visit:
NTTO reports U.S. outbound travel monthly by all modes, expanding beyond air-only traffic. Total departure travel, inclusive of all modes, to Canada and Mexico is reported in addition to the air-only subtotals. The timing of this report is dependent on receipt of aggregate data from Stats Canada and Banco de Mexico.
U.S. Department of Commerce
International Trade Administration
National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO)
1401 Constitution Avenue NW, Room 10003
Washington, D.C. 20230
- Overseas and Mexico air markets reflect non-stop air-only data. A portion of the non-stop passenger traffic to Europe, Middle East and Mexico will transit those regions, connecting through airline hubs (LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG, DXB, MEX etc.) to points beyond. The adjustment to these regions, reflecting visitation(1+ nights), occurs after year-endSurvey of International Air Travelers data is compiled.