|Subscribe TI News Archive|
TI News: An information service from the Office of Travel & Tourism Industries (OTTI)
November 30, 2012
September 2012 U.S.-International Air Passenger Traffic Was 14.3 Million, Up 6 Percent
September Year-to-Date Total U.S.-International Air Traffic Up Eight Percent
Performance metrics reported are:
Summary of January through September 2012:
International air traffic to/from the United States (1) totaled 135.7 million passengers from January through September 2012, an eight percent increase over the first nine months of 2011.
U.S. citizen air travel (61.1 million) increased four percent and comprised 45 percent of all air traffic. Foreign national (non-U.S. citizen) air travelers (74.6 million) increased by 10 percent, increasing share of the total market from 54 to 55 percent.
U.S. airlines carried 73.3 million passengers, up five percent, however their share dropped one percentage point to 54 percent. Foreign flags carried 62.3 million passengers, up 11 percent from January-September 2011, with their share increasing to 46 percent.
September air traffic was up six percent from September 2011, disclosing slower growth.
International is the total of overseas, Canada and Mexico regions, as follows:
Overseas air traffic accounted for 101.9 million passengers, 75 percent of all international air traffic for year-to-date.
U.S. citizen travel (46.7 million) increased five percent and comprised 46 percent of all overseas air traffic. Foreign national air travelers (55.2 million) increased by 10 percent, increasing market share to 54 percent, a one percentage point increase in share between 2011 and 2012.
U.S. airlines carried 52.9 million passengers, up six percent, and their share decreased from 53 to 52 percent. Foreign flags carried 49.0 million passengers, up 10 percent from the first nine months of 2011. Their traffic share increased to 48 percent.
Total air traffic to/from overseas regions for the year performed as follows:
North American markets (Canada and Mexico) accounted for 25 percent of U.S. international air traffic flows.
U.S.-Canada air traffic accounted for 18.8 million passengers, 14 percent of all international traffic, and was up seven percent year-to-date.
U.S. citizen travel (5.1 million) increased five percent and comprised only 27 percent of air traffic in the market. Canadian and other foreign national citizen air travelers (13.7 million) increased by eight percent with their market share resulting at 73 percent.
U.S. flags carried 8.8 million passengers, up two percent, and their share dropped from 49 to 47 percent. Foreign flags carried 10.0 million passengers, up 12 percent increasing their share to 53 percent.
U.S. - Mexico air traffic accounted for 14.9 million passengers, 11 percent of all U.S. - international traffic, and was up six percent.
U.S. citizen travel (9.2 million) increased three percent and comprised 62 percent of all air traffic. Foreign national air travelers (5.7 million) increased by 13 percent increasing their market share to 38 percent.
U.S. flags carried 11.7 million passengers, up two percent from last year, and their share dropped from 82 to 78 percent. Foreign flags carried 3.2 million passengers, up 28 percent increasing share to 22 percent.
Top 10 Foreign Airports (Passenger Traffic to/from U.S.) September 2012 YTD:
Top 10 U.S. Airports (Passenger Traffic to/from Foreign Airports) September 2012 YTD:
Top 10 Airlines Serving U.S. International Non-Stop Markets September 2012 YTD:
* United Airlines and Continental merged operations on March 7th
In the near future OTTI will publish the September 2012 U.S. Citizen Outbound report, which contains total monthly travel (all modes) to Canada and Mexico.
A description of OTTI’s program based on DHS APIS/ “I-92” data: http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/research/programs/i92/index.html includes subscription prices for detailed country and port level reports which are available in Excel and Adobe. See actual report: http://tinet.ita.doc.gov/research/programs/i92/2006_I92_Air_Travel_Statistics.pdf
U.S. Department of Commerce
(1) This reflects non-stop air-only data. A portion of the non-stop passenger traffic to Europe will not ‘visit’ Europe, but will connect through one of Europe’s airline hubs (LHR, AMS, FRA, CDG, MAD, etc.) to Africa and the Middle East. The adjustment to these regions, reflecting visitation (1+ nights), occurs after year-end data is compiled.
(2) Numbers for U.S. carriers slightly exceed what has been reported by Airlines for America (A4A). A4A reports mainline numbers for most of their member carriers. A4A classifies Canadian air travel as ‘Domestic.’ The DHS-I92/APIS data includes all carriers with international service to/from the U.S. including regional carriers, both affiliated and non-affiliated, and general aviation. The I-92/APIS however is not inclusive of Pacific inter-port or other ‘beyond’ traffic.